Monday, July 30, 2007

Anniversaries

This month, both of our married siblings celebrated their 7th wedding anniversaries (congrats!). Last month, both of our parents celebrated their 39th and 41st wedding anniversaries (double congrats!!).

Everyone above dated during college. Steve and I lived across the street from each other, we had common friends, we hung out at the same bars and he worked at places I frequented during college. We never met.

He met my parents six months before we met. My mom tried to set us up that entire time but I didn't call him.

A week before we met each other, one of his best friends in Iowa called him to ask if I could move in with Steve. Steve hung up on his friend.

When we finally met in April of 2001, I recognized his college car (which he still was driving, oh my) but he really didn't look familar.

As I was packing up to move in with him a year later, I found a photo of my future husband I had taken at a NYE party in Kansas City (which was at his girlfriend's apartment) in what was probably 1997. Although I took a picture of him by himself, I still didn't talk to him or think anything about him.

From the time we were born to that late night at age 27 when we finally met, we were almost always within seconds, minutes or a couple of hours from each other.

I sometimes feel like we have a lot of anniversaries of almost meeting each other. We both agree it was a good thing we didn't meet any of these previous times in our lives...because we probably wouldn't have liked each other and definitely wouldn't be here today!

No comments: