Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Otoplasty Partner!

This morning I was casually talking with a new co-worker about hairstyles (you can do that and make it look like "work" in the beauty industry).

As we were talking about styles, she mentioned she used to have big ears. My heart literally skipped a beat when I heard this. The next words out of my mouth were, "Did you have your ears pinned back?". Yes, she had.

An immediate bond was formed.

Through all of these years I had never met another person who was born without cartilage behind their ears causing their ears to protrude. Or another female who has experienced growing up without being able to wear their hair in a ponytail or in a headband because kids call them Dumbo.

My parents took me to a doctor in middle school about having the procedure done but I guess we decided it would be a difficult time to have the surgery since I was involved in sports. Finally during one summer in college I had the surgery. It changed my life physically and most importantly increased my self-esteem immensely.

My co-worker said she just had her surgery last year and was married with big ears!

While it took over 20 years to remedy a non-life threatening (although it seemed like it sometimes) condition, at least I can look at my wedding photos and see my wonderful husband and not my ears!

No comments: