Monday, August 6, 2007

A visitor in your own town.

My mom and her friends went on a shopping trip in "the set" Friday morning. Although they have all lived there for decades and some for their whole life, when they run errands on the square they probably don't look at all of the quaint shops like the tourists do.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been stopped by two sets of tourists on the plaza.
The first foursome were two UK couples who were the Brittish counterparts of my parents and Robinsons. After explaining that the plaza area they were standing in was indeed not an indoor mall, I proceeded to walk them through the map and explained to them that KC is the American "City of Fountains". I ended up walking them down the street to ensure they were walking the correct way because I'm not confident they understood what I was saying since they again stated they were looking for that indoor mall.

On Saturday another couple stopped me asking me to acquaint them with where everything was. They were from Louisiana and their accent was much heavier than the Brits. But they kept laughing so I followed their lead. They went on and on about how lucky I was to live in a city with a place such as the plaza.

Steve and I luckily both work on and next to the plaza, and we made the decision to purchase a smaller home (one that needs TLC in every room, inside and out, from the floor to the ceiling) so we can live in the city near what's important to us at this point in our lives. I feel we do a good job taking advantage of most of what KC offers. It's unfortunate to me the number of people who do not take advantage of all the wonderful things that makes their city what it is whether it's a town of 5,000 or a bigger town of over a million people.

No comments: