Friday, March 7, 2008

It's A Good Thing We Have Our Own Basement.

On Wednesday night, Steve and I joined our good friends Jack/Beverly for dinner at the Cactus Grill in "The Village" (Question for other KC dwellers...have you noticed that Prairie Village is now called The Village?).

Since Cactus Grill has AWESOME food, it was predictably packed. So people were continuously walking past our table.

Toward the end of our meal, I realized our former downstairs neighbor from when we lived in that house in the West Plaza was walking by our table with a newborn baby.

I immediately ducked in my seat. And then I started frantically trying to explain to Steve who I was looking at. I'm not positive, but I think Steve may have ducked a little, too, when I told him!

Granted we were not "Bosom Buddies", like the TV show, with these neighbors, but we did share a basement for a year. And although we had nothing in common with this couple, they were nice and the newborn was the perfect opportunity to walk over, say hello and congratulate her.

But instead, the mature people that we are, we kept randomly staring (and perhaps even ducking).

I'm proud to say that small town Iowa "you know everyone, and everyone is your neighbor" type mentality we both grew up with served us well into adulthood.

No comments: