Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Iowa


After work I went to happy hour with five co-workers. Somehow three of us are from Iowa and the fourth is married to a Iowegian so we were talking about random Iowa stuff. That left one guy from Kansas who has never been to Iowa, and one girl from Minnesota who feels like she's from Iowa because we are all from there, and she drives through it on a regular basis.

And then one of my co-worker's husband stopped by. Also from Iowa.

Then another co-worker's roommate joined us. She's from Iowa.

The next person who came to our HH was the boss of my co-worker's husband. The minute I saw him I thought I recognized him, and I had a feeling he was from Iowa. And he was. It turns out I had been to parties at his house in KC (pre-Steve), we both lived at the Lambda Chi fraternity house during a summer, and we know a lot of the same people who live throughout the country. He asked what my maiden name was and when I said Book he said, "Oh I know who Beth Book is!". I'm going to assume this was meant positively.

Both Steve and I know a lot of people in KC who are originally from Iowa. But 98% of these people we met in KC and never knew in Iowa.

A lot of people we know in KC, who are not from Iowa, say they are amazed how so many people in KC are from Iowa. And some joke that if you look hard enough everyone is somehow from Iowa. If everyone could be so lucky.

No comments: