Sunday, November 25, 2007

TV Trials & Tribulations

My dad and brother are not what you call "shoppers". This is what makes the fact that they were on the road together on Black Friday at 6:00a a story in itself.

My parents are in the market for a new TV. They purchased the TV they are being forced to replace when my brother and I were in 5th or 6th grade (which makes the TV around 22 years old).

After over a year of research my dad finally found the TV that will last another 20-years. And on Thursday he realized that Nebraska Furniture Mart had his TV hundreds of dollars below anyone else out there.

So along with the thousands of people who were at NFM when the doors opened so were my dad and my brother. Unfortunately the TV's were already gone by the time my dad got to the front of the line. Strike one.

On Saturday morning my dad decided that even if the TV was a few hundred dollars more than on Friday, the NFM TV was still an excellent deal. So he got on the phone and after unsuccessfully reaching a human two times, he called a third time. This time he got through to a salesperson. As the salesperson was verifying the model # the last remaining TV sold. Strike two.

A couple hours later we went out to Ann's brother and sister-in-law's house. After lunch and multiple discussions, my dad decided this TV was a good deal even if it was more expensive than the Friday and Saturday morning price. He called NFM again, asked them to order him the TV, and without asking they gave it to him at the Friday morning price. Homerun!

No comments: