Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Apples & Cider

On Sunday, Steve and I drove up to Shenandoah, Iowa to visit my Grandma & Grandpa Book.

This wasn't a regular visit. This was an apple picking, cider making visit.

And apple picking and cider making is what Steve and I did, for more than six hours.

We picked thousands of apples (a variety of types I should add). And then using an apple cider maker that has to be close to 100-years old, we crushed the apples, pressed the juice into a container and then filled over 25-gallons of jugs with apple cider.

And then we picked even more apples and took home two large garbage sacks full back to KC.

It was OOC to say the least.

But at least many of Steve/Ann's neighbors and our neighbors are now set with both apples and cider for a lifetime. Or at least until it all goes bad in a couple of weeks.

To serve as a friendly reminder of our age, my back and legs are now extremely sore and stiff from this six-hours of goodness. And I don't think Steve is much better. But good times were had by all, so like many great things in life, it was well worth it.


Here is a photo of Nate with the apple cider maker a couple of weeks ago.

No comments: