Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Old Flames

A social media site like Facebook was made for me. I love it, love it, love it. When I joined 1-1/2 years ago or so, I knew three people on it. Now I know something like 450 people.

Steve understands none of it. Facebook is the opposite of everything Steve Seiler. It is not his thing.

I've created a group for my sorority, and FB has been a great way, in general, to connect with high school friends and with Iowa Staters.

One of the many great things about the Greek system at Iowa State was not only that it was huge, but with all of the houses being so close and within walking distance, you knew a lot of people just from being around and about.

Someone created a new group on Sunday dealing with FAC (Friday After Class) at People's. When I joined there were around 10-members. This group has spread like wildfire, and now there are over 700 people who belong to this group.

Over lunch today I was looking through the members for this group and saw a name that looked familar but I couldn't figure out why.

And then it hit me...

It was Steve's college girlfriend.

And I got all excited.

I have only seen her once from afar. And to Steve's chagrin, I'm sure, I was wearing a big pink flower in my hair. I have never talked to her, but I really liked seeing her because they dated for a quite a while. She's cute, blond and tall (well, taller than 5' 2-1/2").

I immediately called Steve. I got his voicemail, so I left a message telling him I thought the profile I saw for "blank blank blank" was his college girlfriend based on her name and what she looked like, and I mentioned how we have five mutual friends...blah blah blah. Again, I was excited.

Steve then left me a voicemail informing me in a very businesslike manner that he was not aware of her married last name so he could not tell me if it was her or not.

That is soooo not the response I wanted from him. As I listened to his message I asked myself, "How are Steve and I so completely different people?" It reminded me that opposites, indeed, can and do attract!

2 comments:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

I am SO in your boat. Justin will not get on. I told him I was going to look up his HS class with him there and see who he knows (we did that with MS and found nothing but losers). I am going to search out his "first love" who wore a big purple, or was it blue?, dress to his dances, just because it's funny. His response "she's not in my grade." Well, Mr., that won't stop me :) I'm addicted as well!

The Dirks said...

Just so you know, we have been hounded by many different friends to get on FB and we just hadn't done it.... but I secretly wanted to see what all the hype was about... then after reading this post of yours, I signed up, haha! And the funny thing is, Monte makes fun of me! Much like everyone else's husbands, it seems like the common thing to do :)