Monday, April 7, 2008

No Chatterbox Here

The last eight days have been a doozy of a week health wise for the two of us. These things are not life-altering or permanent; just annoying. We are both fortunate to be healthy and have families who are healthy.

We both got food poisoning or the flu last weekend. We're not sure which one is was, but it was terrible. Enough said.

And then mid-week when the first tree started to bloom, I immediately was overtaken with choking, drainage, very little sleep (therefore for both of us)and a raspy voice that today has gone to hardly any voice at all. It doesn't matter that I take three allergy medicines 365 days a year.

Voice rest is definitely in the top three of the hardest things for me. And ironically I think it's also an event my husband cherishes.

When I was in college I developed nodules on my vocal chords from drainage, talking (a lot) and little sleep (in cold-air dorms) thanks to that wild and crazy university called Iowa State. In college my voice was either:
1) Raspy
2) Non-existent

I had surgery to remove the nodules and to fix a deviated septum the summer after I turned 21. I remember coming back to Ames a couple weeks after my surgery. I still wasn't allowed to talk, but my friend Joyce became my voice, and we didn't miss a single night out at the bar.

So now I'm on voice rest trying to save my voice before a very important girls' trip to Napa Valley on Friday. I proved in college one can drink without talking quite easily. But it's sure not as fun.

3 comments:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

We had the flu too, it SUCKS

Angie Foltz said...

I'm home today with the flu as well...it must be going around!

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

You've been tagged - see my blog